Thursday, July 7, 2011

Rostov - it's Velikii!






Hi Folks,

I'm backlogged with journeys and photos. So I'll be brief here:

Rostov Velikii is one of the "golden ring" cities that surround Moscow. As loyal readers know, I'm a big fan of medieval Russian cities, domes, and walls. And Rostov has them in plenty! In fact, its Kremlin is densely packed and well-preserved in a way that marks it as different than diffuse Suzdal or Vladimir. My friend Annie and I made the 3 hour journey there and back in a day trip, which was a bit hectic. I advise Future Charles to spend the night, go fishing in mysterious, shallow, and murky lake Nero, and cook some shashlyk and set off fireworks like the locals do. If you like little Russian Sistine Chapels and really big bells, Rostov Velikii might also be the place for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment